I found a house I would like to buy. What do I do first?

Make an offer on the house and leave a binder. Notify your attorney that you have found a house you like. Your attorney will advise you to hire an engineer to inspect the house for soundness. After the inspection and receiving the engineer's report on the condition of the property, your attorney will advise you whether it is wise to enter a contract. If you enter a contract, your attorney will review it and represent you at the closing.

If you are buying a co-op or a condo, an additional step is required before you sign a contract. Your attorney will want to review the building's offering plan and financial statements to ensure that the building is in good financial health.

Do I need a will?

Yes, if you own property that is not jointly held and/or you do not have a husband or children, but want your parents or another person to inherit your estate.

Why would a church need a lawyer?

Churches need legal representation for a number of reasons:
Churches have employees and, therefore, become involved in human resources issues. 
Churches have assets that need to be protected.
Churches need rules and regulations that comply with state laws.
Churches purchase, lease, and sell property, activities that need legal representation.

I am considering divorcing my spouse, what should I do?

A: Your attorney will ask whether you have exhausted counseling and tried to remain together. If you have and are certain you want to divorce, you will need to prepare a statement of net worth. The statement of net worth will require you to list your income, monthly household budget, expenses such as health and life insurance, debts such as loans and credit card debt, and assets such as property owned, pension and retirement accounts, securities, and savings and checking accounts. The statement of net worth will be used by your attorney to draft a divorce settlement.